Saturday, November 27, 2010

For Pride or For Glory

Why do it?

I was often asked this question by friends within the running circles and also those whom had only heard it by words. could it be the pride i am seeking or the glory i want? to be able to booast for the rest of my life? while since i am not the only one that was ask these question, these are some of the answer gathered.

I am still not very convince that "these answer" are the true result which I am searching for. although, I would like to say that despite over rating ourself, everyone deserve some form of recognition after competing a gruesome event.

Today, I took the liberty of running alone at east coast beach, a short 12km morning run. it was the longest distance since the last 30km about 2 months ago, I suddenly felt weak on the knees. The leg wasn`t running, it was actually dragging, the breathing was unstable and the body ache come almost immediately. I knew that the body wasn`t able to take these speed anymore, I decided to take it real easy. A thought comes in my mind, and I am starting to compare my fitness level almost 1 year ago and current run.

At that moment, I knew why I am again, attached to this sport.

I was super uncomfortable, felt like puking and wanted to u turn at every toilet break along the road, but suddenly I had an enlightenment. I realised that I am human, yes! It wasn`t difficult to know, but who had actually understand the potential of a human body?? We are not born to last those crazy distance, endure long period of time pushing our body, enduring heat, pain and fighting rejection, depleting our body from food. But we are able to reach these stage by pure determination, constantly pushing our self, challenging the body thu self motivation, until these distance and time, no longer valid anymore.

key word: Adaptation.

A machine is design to follow its specification, while the features state the capabilities and stop before it reaches the maximum potential, while a man with a trained mind and a seasoned body, are able to constantly break out of our comfort zone and reached different level of limit, over a period of time. These form of improvement help us to realise, there is no limits to our body and the mind could take. There is no maximum capacity in us.

I once joke to a friend, that I bet I can outlast the distance of a half filled Lamborghini on my bike, which it is truly possible!

These theories could be improvise in our daily life when we are too comfortable in our work, our life and even our knowledge, we had already set our own maximum capabilities or capacity limites.

I would like to leave a note, a person is only good when it is constantly push and pressure. staying within a comfortable zone will only leave the mind weak and self satisfied in the end.

I do it, because I can!

No comments: