Monday, June 28, 2010

Just RUN

erm. I think it must have been sometime since there was any entry about running or any kind of sports. well, I am still running and also officially slacking.

This time, my marathon took me to a place where i started my first, my virgin marathon. nothing really exotic about it, it just KL. 4 years ago, I took my first step into marathon after being curious about the "hype" i just signed up and went there without much preparation, I told myself the next time I would do better at this. 4 years later and numerous marathons and triathlons, I went back to KL marathon again without any preparation at all, dejuva!

The race started with heavy rain, low moral and a wet running shoe. while standing beside a bunch of first timers, I could not feel their excitment, I wished i am back in the hotel sleeping. "bang" the gun went off, and the runner all around me running into a dark and long journey. I was still walking toward the line, while my buddy was dragging behind me. started off a small step at a time, we broke into little step of jogging. turning a round a few time to spot my buddy, I just take a little step at a time, target a big orange balloon name "5hour"

The rain hasn`t stop and I was no way motivated at all, I just struggle with my steps. 3km later, turn, my buddy was "eaten" by the runners. Rain was smaller this time. my shoe still wet. at the first water station, I saw a familiar face "kayano" we ran together for the next 4km before we parted our way. it was still dark when we hit the airport highway, it was actually quite refreshing.

The entire route took us into the cities, shopping malls, public mall and more shopping malls. and then there was the slopes, long gradual up slopes and more slopes. I think this time round, I took the liberally to look around the scene and admiring a beautiful sun raise. maybe no time target, I just run.

at 30km mark, I finally took a peek at my watch, it was 3hour 25mins. hmmm... not too bad. a flat route toward the 34km mark, I went pass some familiar face again. took some gels along the way, I could hear my stomach growling. at 35km mark, I was at 4hours 10min. hey, i might just make it below 5.

I make my way towards the 36km marks and I could feel in my bones, there was "something" waiting for me. and there it was. the GE 30km hills! a long tail of walkers dragging their legs up this hill, it was quite terrifying when you watched from below. I tried running up at least the first half, but it was painful. The hip and quads was complaining, I kept shouting at them to "shut up" no choice i had to walk. i gave up. I took it easy running down the slopes, the last thing I want was to "die" at another up slope. At 38km slope, Heeshen ran pass me, I think he was on drug!

5hour 05, I was eventually at the 40km marks where i saw Ben. He was cheering and we ran alittle before the last turn, I told him to wait for me at the finishing point. at the last 800m, I felt like a champion. The street was filled with people, mostly runners walking back and passerby cheering. I thought i saw a couple of passerby "fighting" throwing punches, not sure why. Running in the middle of the road, there was no one esle at that moment, but me. again, i am not sure why??!! saw ST at the last 100m.

I reached the ending point, smiling....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.